NEW YORK, October 2, 2023 – China Institute is thrilled to announce eight individuals who will be honored at its annual Blue Cloud Gala on October 17, 2023, 6:00PM, at Tribeca 360 in New York City. This flagship celebration has raised $1M in support of China Institute and will bring together over 350 guests to salute these outstanding honorees from diverse fields whose achievements reflect the Institute’s mission.
The honorees include:
- Yue-Sai Kan, Co-Chair, China Institute
- Chinese American Emmy-award winning television host, bestselling author and humanitarian, Yue-Sai Kan has been a transformative figure in the Chinese media industry and has dedicated her life to fostering a constructive dialogue between China and the West. Kan is being honored for her significant lifetime achievements in media, philanthropy and cultural diplomacy.
- Michelle Liem, Chair & CEO, Nuri Holdings
- Michelle is a Singaporean Businesswoman and Philanthropist. She was conferred the Public Service Medal by the President of Singapore for her longstanding contribution to the community and the Officer of the Order of Merit by HRH Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg for her service as Honorary Consul. She is an advocate for healthcare, education and conservation and serves on the SingHealth Fund Board, Council of Chicago Booth, Singapore LSE Trust, Stanford Parent and Family Advisory Board and Conservation International Asia-Pacific Advisory Council.
- Dr. James S. C. Chao & Family, including:
- Dr. James S.C. Chao, Founder and Honorary Chairman, Foremost Group
- Dr. James Chao is the Founder and Honorary Chairman of Foremost Group, an American shipping company based in New York. He has received innumerable awards and recognitions, including the Ellis Island Medal of Honor for outstanding contributions to our nation and the Horatio Alger Award of Distinguished Americans at the United States Supreme Court. Dr. Chao is the benefactor of numerous scholarship programs that have impacted the lives of countless students.
- The Honorable May Chao, Former Chair and Executive Director, New York State Consumer Protection Board (CPB)
- May Chao is a longtime advocate for consumer rights and an active philanthropist and volunteer. She has achieved outstanding accomplishments throughout her career including the implementation of programs to educate consumers on their rights and had direct involvement in the passing of several laws to protect consumers from unfair and deceptive practices.
- Christine Chao, General Counsel, Foremost Group
- Christine Chao serves as General Counsel of Foremost Group and is an active and dedicated philanthropist of many charitable endeavors including Foremost Foundation, which strives to help young people access higher education and greater opportunities. She has also been a longstanding Trustee to her alma mater, Colgate University, and currently serves as Vice Chair of the Board.
- Dr. Grace Chao, Anthropologist
- Dr. Grace Chao is a mental health advocate for Indigenous teens and is well known for her impactful TEDX Fargo speech, “Surviving Depression with Indigenous Teens.” She is passionate about education, sponsoring an undergraduate scholarship and a graduate interdisciplinary scholarship at Stanford University.
- Angela Chao, Chair and Chief Executive Officer, Foremost Group
- Angela Chao is a highly respected leader in the international shipping industry whose company leads one of the most environmentally advanced fleets in the world. A generous philanthropist to numerous charitable organizations, she is also an ardent supporter of many of America’s most iconic cultural institutions, especially in the arts and opera.
Proceeds from the gala will support the Institute’s continuing efforts to promote cultural understanding and exchange. Its programs, school, and gallery exhibitions bring to life the depth, complexity, and dynamism of China. The Institute is poised for growth with the expansion of its headquarters in lower Manhattan with the opening of a new culinary center.
“We see this as a pivotal moment to announce the opening of our new Culinary Center in 2024, which embodies our commitment to enriching the understanding of Chinese culture,” said the newly appointed CEO of the Institute, George S. Geh. “The center, with its mission to elevate Chinese cuisine and connect people through shared experiences in food, aligns with our core ethos and values. We believe this will be another steppingstone in the cultural exchange journey between China and rest of the world.”
Blue Cloud Gala 2023 will spotlight the honorees’ trailblazing work and also feature live entertainment by Grammy nominated artist Jiebing Chen with The Brothers Comatose, a unique combination of Chinese and western music to present an extraordinary performance.
To learn more about Blue Cloud Gala 2023 or to purchase tickets, please visit China Institute’s website at www.chinainstitute.org.
About China Institute
Founded in New York City in 1926 by American educators John Dewey, Paul Monroe and Chinese diplomats Hu Shi (胡適) and Kuo Ping-Wen (郭秉文), China Institute is an internationally renowned U.S. nonprofit organization dedicated to deepening the world’s understanding of China through programs in business, art, culture, cuisine and education.
China Institute is located at 100 Washington Street, New York, NY 10006. For more information, please visit chinainstitute.org, follow us on LinkedIn and like us on Instagram.
Scan QR code below to purchase tickets to the 2023 Blue Cloud Gala
Media Contact: Alex Luan
Phone: 212.744.8181 Ext. 106